Optical Fabrication facilities comprise polishing and metrology facilities for the fabrication of large optics.
Polishing facilities include:
Large bridge 7- axis CNC machines: a Zeeko IRP1600 machine, capable of polishing optics up to 2.0m diameter; and a Zeeko IRP1200 machine, capable of polishing optics up to 1.2m diameter.
Conventional polishing machines: two 600 mm single‐spindle polishing machines.
These polishing facilities are unique within the UK for the manufacture of large optics.
Our HAAS machining centre has been set up for the grinding and machining of glass. Substrates of up to 350mm in diameter can be machined and if required lightweighted on this machine.
Metrology capabilities available at Glyndŵr Innovations include the following:
- Contact Metrology
- Interferometric Metrology
- Bespoke Metrology
- General Facilities
Contact Metrology facilities include:
- Leica AT901 Absolute Tracker (currently integrated into a 10m optical test tower): Measurement volume >10 m radius; in‐line measurement accuracy of 10 µm; angular accuracy of approximately 40µm, SpatialAnalyser software.
- FARO Ion Laser Tracker: Measurement volume >10 m radius; in‐line measurement accuracy of 10 µm; angular accuracy of approximately 40 µm, CAM2 Measure software.
- DEA Pioneer 6.10.6 CMM, offering a first term traceable measurement accuracy of 5 µm, PC‐DMIS
- Taylor‐Hobson Form Talysurf: One of a small collection of long range contact profilometers made by Taylor‐Hobson. The Form Talysurf is a linear profilometer able to give a traverse of up to 300 mm, with a measurement precision of <100 nm.
- Taylor‐Hobson Talysurf Intra: Contact profilometer made by Taylor‐Hobson giving a traverse of up to 50 mm, with a measurement precision of <100 nm.
- NT‐MDT standalone SMENA Atomic Force Microscope: Measurement footprint 100 µm x 100 µm; height measurement accuracy 0.1 nm or better.
Interferometric Metrology facilities include:
- Fisba μPhase 2 HR compact Interferometer: 1024×1020 camera resolution; associated diverger lenses, μShape software.
- 4D PhaseCam 4000 Interferometer: Stabilised Twyman Green interferometer; 473×475 camera resolution, 4Sight software.
- 4D PhaseCam 6000 Interferometer: Stabilised Twyman Green interferometer; 995×1003 camera resolution, 4Sight software.
- 4D PhaseCam 5030 Interferometer: Stabilised Twyman Green interferometer; 1967×1946 camera resolution, 4Sight software.
- 4D diverger lenses available for the 4D interferometers: F/1, F/2.5, F/4, F/6, F/8.
- Nikon ADE MicroXam Optical Surface Profiler: White light interferometer; measurement footprint approximately 1 mm x 1 mm height resolution of 0.1 nm.
Bespoke metrology facilities include:
- Nanometrical Optical Measuring Machine (NOM) optical profilometer: more
- Reconfigurable 10m optical test tower: more
- Bespoke interferometric beam expander
NOM optical profilometer
Capable of measuring a sagittal distance of 70 nm over a scan length of 1.4m. Calibrated with a sagittal measurement accuracy of 350 nm (one standard deviation).
Reconfigurable 10m optical test tower (OTT)
The test tower is positioned above the IRP1600 polishing machine to allow in-situ interferometric test of the parts.
The OTT was initially developed for full optical aperture interferometric test of the ESO E‐ELT aspheric primary mirror segments but can be reconfigured for other optical surface prescriptions and applications… read more .
OTT shown in position over our IRP 1600 polishing machine.
Bespoke interferometric beam expander:
Current working beam diameter 183 mm adaptable to larger diameters if required.